
Been thinking (and debating) alot about legalism along with hypocrisy in Christianity and especially in the church. This topic makes me SO frustrated! But, I think
God is asking me to figure out the truth about this topic. He keeps bringing the subject up EVERY where I turn. The radio, Sunday school lessons, my quiet time, BUT, the last place I expected to find it was at work. But, God threw it at me there too!
Sitting around the table in the breakroom, we were discussing Christianity as a religion. There was a suggestion by someone at the table that Christianity and it's practices might not be exactly what God wants it to be. That the things we "do" reflect several generation's interpretations of what we should be doing, but not actually what we SHOULD be doing to please God. Another way of looking at it is defined by the word, LEGALISM. Basically, what have we as human's defined Christianity as, in comparison to how God see's Christianity? BIG TOPIC, I know!
I believe that as Christian's, we have the choice to get our information from several generations, or to learn it straight from the source. Paul says in his writings,
"I want you to know brothers, that the gospel I preached is not something that man made up. I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ."
This statement is straight and to the point. Paul perfectly dispells the idea that we are/ or have to learn from generations of Christian's behind us, and gives us the challenge to learn straight from JESUS! Seek Him out on what is truth, and through His word, you will find something that is not taught to you from man, but is received by God revealing it to you. And GOD is our truth. Not things that years and years of other people have told us is the way to please God.
I am still in the process of learning what God wants me to learn about this subject, but I wanted to take it beyond just believing that our religion is man made. And, jump into the idea being a "good Christian." A verse that grabbed my attention in my quiet time the other day hits the heart of this idea.
Paul is talking in the book of Galatians to the churches in Galatia. He starts by saying that he believes the churches in Galatia are being taught things that are not 100% truth. These things that are being taught are confusing the church, and making her question what is right. But Paul calls them out on what is happening and makes a bold statement. He says,
"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ." Galatians 1:10
WOW! Paul goes straight to the root of legalistic thinking. By trying to "prove" to other men that we have got this whole Christianity thing right, we ARE NOT being a servant of Christ, we are being a servant to other men. And, being a servant of Christ is a christian's main goal!
I could go on and on. God is still teaching me so much. And, I still need to learn. But I think the biggest thing I am learning for the moment is so simple.
Please only God. Keep your thoughts inward and upward.
No comments:
Post a Comment